We are committed to ensuring we have systems in place to safeguard the welfare of children. This includes working in partnership with other relevant organisations to ensure we provide care that is safe and that we proactively identify children and young people who are at risk.
The measures we have in place includes:
- Criminal Record Bureau checks for staff in accordance with statutory employment regulations.
- Child protection policies and systems which work in partnership with our local stakeholders. These are systematically reviewed to ensure they meet national guidance and recommendations as a result of child protection cases. This is part of the Trust's commitment to ensure continuous improvement in its processes to protect children and young people.
- Processes to follow up missed outpatient appointments, which includes flagging up where there are specific concerns about the safety and welfare of vulnerable children and young people.
- Child protection training for new and current staff in line with national guidance. The Trust is currently reviewing its arrangements for Level 1 and additional training which will include recommendations from the national review of safeguarding training.
- Named professionals with clear roles and responsibilities for supporting the safeguarding agenda. This resource has recently been reviewed and increased in agreement with the Board.
- Board level executive leadership for safeguarding is provided by the Director of Nursing who reports directly to the Board on any concerns within the trust. An audit programme is in place to provide assurance around safeguarding processes. Regular reports are reviewed within the Trust's governance committee structures.
- Safeguarding procedures within our Emergency Department are set out clearly within the Trust's safeguarding policy and further enhanced with department specific guidance. In addition, the Emergency Department has a link nurse in place who has specific responsibilities for safeguarding issues.
For further information please see the Peterborough Safeguarding Children Board manual at