We value the fantastic work volunteers from our local communities do across our hospitals. We benefit from the support of over 550 volunteers who give up their time to work closely with our staff, patients, and visitors. This enhances patient experience and supports positive clinical outcomes throughout our hospitals.
Our volunteer roles complement paid staff and provide meaningful opportunities for people to make a big difference in varied roles. Volunteers provide practical and emotional support for patients, staff and visitors, every day, whilst bringing a wealth of knowledge, skills and experience to the Trust.
Did you know: 567 volunteers gave 48,465 hours of their time during the 2019/20 financial year.
Volunteers are recognised as part of the NHS team and are integral to the Trust and its mission of working together to be the best at providing outstanding care for local communities. We encourage community members to apply for voluntary work and pro-actively encourage their involvement in our work.
The Trust also sees the personal benefit that volunteering has on individuals and are committed to the principle of two-way volunteering which can enable you to:
- Help others
- Give something back
- Learn new skills
- Make new friends/reduce isolation
- Improve employment prospects
- Increase in confidence/Self esteem
- Be involved in the local community
To be considered for any of our opportunities and to become a member of our Voluntary Services Team we ask that you meet the following criteria:
- 18 years old or over (16 or 17 for some specific roles)
- Able to attend induction and training as required during working week hours (8.30-5pm)
- Committed to volunteering regularly, approximately 3-4 hours every week
- Eligible to volunteer in the UK
- Caring, reliable, dependable and have excellent communication skills
- Live within a 20 mile radius of the hospital (if claiming out of pocket expenses)
- Be prepared to work within the values & behaviour guidelines of the Trust
Please be aware that our volunteer office does not manage work experience interests or applications and these should be directed to the relevant department. Click here to learn more about work experience.
Volunteers Annual Report 2018-19