Are you in an Emergency?

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk. A call operator will advise you on what will happen next. 

Examples of medical emergencies include (but are not limited to):

  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Severe less of blood
  • Severe burns or scalds
  • Choking
  • Severe allergic reactions.


Do you really need to go to the Emergency Deparment? 

Emergency Departments should only be used in an emergency or life-threatening situation. If you don't need emergency care, please consider one of the alternatives below:

NHS 111

If you have an urgent but non-life threatening medical concern, you can get advice from a fully trained adviser by calling NHS 111. The service is available 24/7 and is completely free to use. You will be asked questions to assess your symptoms and direct you to the right medical care you require.

How to contact NHS 111: 


A pharmacist can give advice on any minor injuries or illnesses, such as infections, colds and flu, and rashes. They can also prescribe certain medicines including emergency contraception, flu vaccines and supplies of your regular prescriptions. 

They often have a private consultation room if you need to talk to them in confidence. 

Find your local pharmacy here

Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC)

UTCs are for urgent help, such as injuries and illnesses that are not emergencies. If you are seriously ill or in need of emergency care, you will still be treated at our Emergency Department. If you are not sure what care you need, you can contact NHS 111 by phone or use the NHS 111 symptom checker. 

Find your nearest UTC here

GP Surgeries

When you are unwell, but you do not need urgent medical attention, you should make arrangements to see your GP. 

Not registered with a GP? 

Find your nearest surgery here

Walk in centre/Minor Injuries Unit

A walk in centre (or minor injuries unit) can give you advice and treatment for minor injuries and ailments. You don't need an appointment, and anyone can use the service - including those who are not registered with a GP. They are open later in the evenings and at weekends when your usual GP surgery may be closed. 

Find your local services here


Common conditions and minor ailments such as colds and flus, upset stomachs, and aches and pains are generally not a serious health problem for most patients. You can easily treat yoursefl at home, or with advice from a local pharmacist, helping you to feel better sooner and avoid unnecessary trips to your GP or emergency department. 

The NHS website has a wealth of useful information on self-care support and links to information on specific health conditions, from commonly occurring symptoms to long term conditions. 

One thing that you can do it to stock up on self-care essentials. A well stocked medicine cabinet can be used to treat most minor ailments and should include:

  • Paracetamol and aspirin, and equivalent syrups (such as calpol) for children
  • Mid laxatives to relieve constipation
  • Re-hydration mixtures for diarrhoea or vomiting
  • Indigestion rememdy
  • Thermometer to check for fever
  • Range of bandages, plasters, elastic bandages and dressings
  • Antiseptic cream
  • Tweezers and sharp scissors 

All the above are available from your local pharmacy or supermarket at low cost - no prescription or GP appointment required.