Welcome to our Palliative Care Department. We aim to improve the quality of life for patients and families facing a life threatening or life limiting illness.
- Advice and symptom control on physical symptoms such as pain, nausea, constipation and breathlessness
- Emotional, spiritual and practical support for patients and their families
- Support, advice and education to staff on all aspects of palliative care
- Support with advance planning
- Telephone advice
We manage patients with advanced, progressive, and life limiting illness who have complex palliative care needs, regardless of the diagnosis. This includes patients with malignant and non–malignant disease.
We provide a holistic and person-centred assessment of each patients needs, care plans and support in order to help manage difficult symptoms relating to the underlying condition and to help prepare for the uncertainties of the future.
About Our Services
Our Palliative Care Team consists of Consultants in Palliative Medicine, Palliative Lead Nurse, Clinical Nurse Specialists and Palliative Care Nurses.
We treat patients according to their individual needs, and can support with symptom control, complex psychosocial care, and can act as a liaison with other palliative care services and end-of-life care for patients with life-limiting disease.
We work in partnership with the referring health care professionals and the multi-disciplinary team to provide high quality care but do not take over the patient’s care completely.
There are weekly Consultant Outpatient Clinics for Patients who have complex symptoms requiring additional specialist Palliative medicine input.
We have an inpatient hospital service and 2 Community Palliative Care Teams that provide specialist palliative support to patients and their families within North West Anglia Foundation Trust hospitals and the surrounding community.
Peterborough City Hospital
- Hospital Palliative Care Team
- We operate a 7 day Inpatient hospital service from 9am - 5pm
- Community Palliative Care Team
- Monday - Saturday, 9am-3pm
- Phone: 01733 678599
When You Are Referred To Palliative Care
When you are referred to Palliative Care we will contact you to assess your needs and discuss what we can offer. We will work in partnership with you, your family and your Health care professionals as a multi-disciplinary team to provide you with high quality palliative and end of life care that meets your individual needs.
If you think that you may have complex palliative care needs please speak to your GP, Consultant or Nursing Team who can make a referral on your behalf.
Out Of Hours Advice - Palliative Care
Telephone advice for patients in the community
Peterborough and Cambridgeshire
- Available after 5.00pm
- Call the Palliative Care Hub via 111 and selection option 3 to speak to a Clinical nurse specialist.
- Available 9am – 6pm Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm weekends and Bank holidays
- Phone: 01767 641 349
Bedfordshire Palliative Care Hub
- 24/7 hr telephone support
- Phone: 01767 641 349